Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tell a woman because it could save her life

Tell a woman because you love her. Tell a woman because she means the world to you. Tell a woman because it could save her life.

Ovarian cancer symptoms are all too common. Along with these common symptoms comes our tendency to put others first. We may ignore our bodies and our health altogether. I have been guilty of this many times.

In my nearly three years of working very closely with the organization and its volunteers at Hope for Heather Ovarian Cancer Awareness, I have come to learn the importance of being an advocate for my own health. Also, it's become a part of my everyday life to encourage others to do the same.

These common symptoms include bloating, difficult menstrual cycles, headaches, unusual weight gain, sleepless nights, sense of urgency or higher frequency to urinate, abdominal pain, difficulty eating or feeling full quickly. Sound familiar?

These symptoms have happened to all of us. I know I've experienced a few here and there. If you have experienced these, did you think anything "more" could be happening? I've had many women tell me, "I thought it was just common to go through these things...we're women. Isn't that normal?"

At times, it could be "nothing"  but at other times, it might be "something" more.
I have lost track of the number of women who told me that a symptom card from Hope for Heather saved their lives, or that hearing testimony from a survivor gave them a push in the right direction.

Inspiration is powerful. I know firsthand that inspiration has prompted many women to finally take a look at their own health and maybe even recognize some lingering symptoms. Regardless, they took charge. I took charge.

We only have one body. We only have one life.

For all of us, there are many people who are counting on us and people who care about health. It is important to pay attention to our health the way that our loved ones do and we must be ready to fight if we are sent to a battle.

Tell a woman because she has one body. Tell a woman because she has one life. Tell a woman because it could save her life.

Until my next post, be beautiful and genuine ― in other words, be you.

Farah F. Jadran is the media spokeswoman for Hope for Heather. She shares her interests on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Vine and Pinterest — @FarahJadran.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Frieda is my Aunt's sister, btw! There truly is not enough awareness out there for this type of cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and sharing, Michael! Frieda is amazing and truly an inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Love this :) well said! #FarahFan

    ReplyDelete