Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I saved his life, so he could save mine

This will be the first of many posts about my beloved dog, my late dog, Rock, a rescue pup I adopted with hope to give him a happy life from age 9 and so on.

Rock’s life ended the day he was sure mine would not end. He made sure I was protected at all times, but most of all he did not let anything or anyone hurt me the day he went down fighting.

Photo by Ami Olson
At approximately 4:40 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011, Rock was attacked and killed by a large pit bull running loose on the Syracuse’s East Side. Rock, a Rottweiler, was 12 years old and already fighting age-related ailments in his back, a knee and a hip.

Rock was smelling some flower bushes in my next-door neighbor’s yard when the loose dog started a full-out brawl in the street that lasted for about 25 minutes. After lunging at me, the dog turned its attention to Rock, who, in his honor, risked his own life to save mine.

I never left Rock’s side once the fight began, which prohibited me from calling 911.

Numerous bystanders watched, but my neighbor Andy jumped in after a few minutes to help me. We tried using large pieces of wood to pry the dog’s jaw open to release Rock’s neck from its grip. Instead, the dog broke off two pieces of wood in its mouth ― nothing was working.

During this fight I noticed two bystanders dialing 911 and yelling to me to ask, “Do you know whose dog that is?” No one, among the dozen or more onlookers said they knew the dog’s owner.

Finally, Andy got the idea to use a golf club for the dog to bite down on. When he told me to get away, I was in shock ― the fight was actually over? I turned around and finally saw a black-and-white parked in front of my house.

I held Rock’s chest up as I ran away from the other dog and into my house. His legs were so badly mangled he couldn't walk. I rushed as the dog escaped Andy's efforts and chased me up my front stairs. I was trapped in my home until Syracuse Police deemed it safe enough for an officer to unlock my car for me and give me a green light on when it was safe to exit my home with Rock in my arms.
Because this was the first time someone has called 911 on my behalf, I was hoping to see a brigade arrive and put an end to the horror. I was disappointed. It felt like the response time was too long for the area of the city I reside in and once officers, EMS and fire personnel were on scene, I didn't see what I would consider a proactive response to the situation at hand.

About two weeks later, I sat down with Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler and Deputy Chief Rebecca Thompson, this is what I learned: The first 911 call was received by the county’s dispatcher at 4:50 p.m. (10 minutes into the fight) and there were three officers available, one of which was the Transport Vehicle, a car that patrols the entire city of Syracuse. The car was dispatched at 4:57 p.m. (17 minutes into the fight) and arrived at 5:02 p.m. (22 minutes into the fight). It is clear that every moment counted. 

Rock was so badly injured that I was left with few choices when I finally got him to the aid of emergency veterinary services… I laid him to rest.

I don't blame anyone who attempted to help us or even the dog that attacked us. I blame the owner of this dog ― someone who truly does not care about animals to bring them up in a loving way. I feel sorrow for animals that are abused, neglected or trained in a negative manner ― many suffer and never have peace in their lives.

This is not “the end” to this story as there were court hearings to follow, but I will share that on another day. This heartbreaking day has made me stronger, but also more grateful for what I have since I saved Rock’s life…so he could save mine. Not a day goes by that I don't think about this brave pup. He will forever be the Rock in my heart.

Until my next post, be beautiful and genuine ― in other words, be you.

3 comments:

  1. Rock was your hero but to Rock...you were his....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this story close to when it happened and it sparked something in my mind when my wife had an encounter with a stray pit bull, giving it water in what could have been a very dangerous situation, proven later when Animal Control showed up. Just two weeks ago another friend of mine talked about being followed by a stray pit bull but maintaining her calm until she reached a place where she could get inside. These are scary stories and I'm not necessarily going to say it's all pits; anyone allowing their dogs to roam around, or mistreats a dog so much that when it gets loose it just wants to take vengeance on whomever shows up needs to be convicted, get jail time and fined. Thanks for sharing the story again.

    ReplyDelete